Monday, May 14, 2007

WATCH THOSE PLANTS!

This reads like an urban legend... if it weren't for the pictures. It comes from one of our homeowners, though I believe it happened to one of her acquaintances.

I almost had a heart attack this week. My son got me a potted plant for my birthday. I kept it on my kitchen counter the whole time. This week it was warm enough to plant outside. It was in a plastic pot wedged into a decorative outer container. After planting the flower, I got a knife to get the plastic pot out of the glass one. When I wedged the knife around the sides, something moved. I told my son it looked like a snake, so he took the liner out. To our surprise, there was not one snake, but two baby copperheads. I almost died! When we took the plastic pot out, there was a piece of cardboard up the side. There must have been eggs in the holes of the cardboard that hatched out when it got hot. I am sending you pictures.

Take my advice and don't bring nursery plants inside. This could have been really, really bad. The plant was bought at a grocery store; I won't give the name because I don't want to ruin their business, plus I'm pretty sure it was the grower & not the store who was responsible. Growers should take more care when potting plants.

I just want to warn you guys not to bring plants inside; who knows what could be lurking way down under those roots. I am only thankful it was not intended as a house plant!
<





Wasn't it last year a woman was bitten by a snake in a pot at one of the "big box" retailer-garden centers?

No comments: