Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Donald, Homeowners Rep on the Board




I asked Donald Abrams to give us a little background. I think you'll agree we are lucky to have him represent us.

Why did you step up to join the board?


I have always felt that public service is something inherent in me. In prior communities that I had resided in, I wanted to make the situation as best as it could be. When Shirley and I bought in Spanish Oaks we joined the vision that was offered. I want to make sure that the vision is carried out and that each homeowner has a voice. Therefore, I felt that this was the least that I could do to ensure that we are heard, that the vision comes true and that living here is all that we want it to be.


Have you met with the rest of the board yet? (How often do they meet?)


Actually, as I write this I am preparing for my first meeting with the Board today. At that meeting a timetable for future meeting will be discussed.

What is your sense about how S.O. is progressing?

With the change to Discovery, we have stumbled a bit. However, I do not think that we are very far from the original course chartered. I am seeing some things that are very positive. Some light (not nearly enough) at the entrance, changes to the landscaping and fencing protection to the lots that have been built out. We need to improve the communication to the members so that everyone knows what is happening and why and how to deal with any other setbacks that might arise.

What do you see as the major issues facing us all?

Safety. The single largest one is the stop light at 71. We have a meeting scheduled with some of the county leadership. However, we all know that there are a number of tangents to this issue that are, if you will pardon the pun, stoplights in the road. Ranging from space to salamanders to money; all has put the brakes on this topic. I know we were all told stories of any month now, and that is not the truth. When our security vehicle is rear ended we know that there are issues. I will make sure that we continue to do all that we can and that every one has all the information concerning this topic. This will make our little slice of the hill country the place every one wants to be. We all have to be cognizant of those things that keep our property values where we want them to be.

Are there any opportunities for residents to become involved in ad hoc committees?

At this point, I cannot answer that question. However, I believe that I will have an answer by this weekend.

Can you give us a feeling for any timetables for improvements, builds, etc., from Discovery Land's plans?

Not as of 10:07 Tuesday April 18. However, I personally plan to knock on every door and introduce myself and leave my e-mail address with each homeowner. Hopefully I can get this done by the end of the month. This is easy to say when there are less than 100 homes on property. But I will make myself available to each homeowner. My cell is 512 750 5900. I have no problem with anyone calling to chat, kvetch, complain, point out an issue or whatever to make this a better community. I cannot guarantee that the answer is the one that you will want to hear, but there will be an answer as soon as I can deliver one.

Anything else you'd like to say?

I am pretty stoked about living in Spanish Oaks. I have met a good number of my neighbors and have made and am developing more friends than I could have imagined. Harry and Faye are a hoot! Heather and Jim are super. This makes me think that for all the folks I have not met yet, there are even more good people to be friends with. We can develop a social circle that the neighbors can participate in, (I am a big fan of pot luck block parties) and I think that the SOHOA can sponsor events for the neighborhood that will make everyone proud to have the acorn sticker on the windshield.

I look forward to more time on this blog, more time speaking with all of my new friends, neighbors and those who will be, because I have yet to meet them, my new friends and neighbors.

If there are any concerns, questions, issues please feel free to call me.

Donald Abrams

No comments: